Science

Welcome to the Science Department

The study of science fires pupils’ curiosity about phenomena in the world around them and offers opportunities to find explanations. It engages learners at many levels, linking direct practical experience with scientific ideas. Experimentation and modelling are used to develop and evaluate explanations, encouraging critical and creative thought. Pupils learn how knowledge and understanding in science are rooted in evidence. They discover how scientific ideas contribute to technological change – affecting industry, business and medicine and improving quality of life. They trace the development of science worldwide and recognise its cultural significance. They learn to question and discuss issues that may affect their own lives and the future of the world.

Key Stage 1 and 2 Science is taught on Home Tuition and by the hospital tutors.

At Key Stage 3 and 4 the following areas are covered:

  • Organisms and health
  • Chemical and material behaviour
  • Energy, electricity and radiations
  • Environment, Earth and universe

 ‘How Science Works’ is also built into the KS3 curriculum, which looks at how Science is used in the world today and the role of scientists. Students are assessed by end of topic tests and teacher assessed tasks.

Year 11 - Study OCR GCSE Gateway Science.  

This consists of the following topics:

B1 Understanding organisms

B2 Understanding our environment

C1 Carbon chemistry 

C2 Chemical resources

P1 Energy for the home 

P2 Living for the future (energy resources)

The exams make up 75% of the final mark.  Controlled assessment completed during lesson time makes up the other 25%.

Students may alternatively attempt the OCR Entry Level Science course which consists of short tests and practical work.  There is no final exam for this course.

OCR Entry Level – Science Plus

This is a highly motivating course designed to meet the needs of those students for whom GCSE Science is not appropriate, via the use of teaching units with short written tests, can-do tasks and practical activities.

Students have a Candidate record card to note their achievements and “interim” Certificates that are awarded at bronze, silver and gold levels.

The course consists of 39 topics equally divided between Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

For GCSE

The current grading system, using A* to G, will be replaced by a numeric system, 9 to 1 (with 9 being at the top of the scale).

The scheme of assessment will consist of two tiers: foundation tier and higher tier. Foundation tier assesses grades 5 to 1 and higher tier assesses grades 9 to 4.

The new GCSEs will require students to carry out a minimum of eight practical activities for each single Science and sixteen practical activities for Combined Science. The practical activities can be completed at any point during the two-year GCSE course.

Year 10

At Whiteheath, we will offer a choice of three KS4 courses.

Option 1 will be to study a single Science in Biology, Chemistry OR Physics. (There is no option for a single GCSE covering all three science subjects.)

Option 2 will be to study a combined science course worth two GCSE’s.

Option 3 will be to study Entry Level Science, which does not lead to a GCSE but is an entry level qualification.

For GCSE

The current grading system, using A* to G, will be replaced by a numeric system, 9 to 1 (with 9 being at the top of the scale).

The scheme of assessment will consist of two tiers: foundation tier and higher tier. Foundation tier assesses grades 5 to 1 and higher tier assesses grades 9 to 4.

The new GCSEs will require students to carry out a minimum of eight practical activities for each single Science and sixteen practical activities for Combined Science. The practical activities can be completed at any point during the two-year GCSE course.

Single Science in separate Biology, Chemistry or Physics

Two exam papers

THIS OPTION WILL LEAD OT ONE SCIENCE GCSE

Content of each exam

  • Section A - multiple choice questions (15 marks)
  • Section B - structured questions including extended response (75 marks)
  • 1 hr 45 mins
  • 90 marks
  • 50% weighting

Combined Science consists of 6 exam papers

THIS OPTION WILL LEAD TO TWO SCIENCE GCSE'S

Content of each exam

  • Section A - multiple choice questions (10 marks)
  • Section B - structured questions including extended response (50 marks)
  • 1 hr 10 mins
  • 60 marks
  • 16.7% weighting